From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 13:18:43 -0400
Bob Harrison wrote:
> Hello Randy & All,
>

>> 6.  Dr. Ellis's experience, anecdotal reports, and my own experience
>>
> indicate that colonies can handle the recommended dosages well, even with
> multiple summer treatments.
>
> I guess with the intense high level of testing being done by Penn State,
> Military and the research labs we will see before long if the above is
> harming our bees.
> I hope to learn a great deal from the CCD testing.

You only have to go as far as the EU to see that. They have used OA for
some time now, legally and according to instructions. They have done
most of the research on OA and so far it has proved safe to use on bees.
If it were not, they would have had CCD or whatever long before we
did.They have everything else we do, including mites.

They have also use other organic acid treatments. I remember reading of
their use back when FGMO came on the scene. In essence, you have had
practical application of OA and other organic acids with research, tests
and trials for quite some time. Other than re-inventing the wheel, I
doubt if much more will be learned in our labs that has not already been
looked at elsewhere.

Other things do cause the damage and are implicated as possible causes
of CCD. The concern for OA is purely anecdotal to date since it is not
common to CCD.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine