From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 07:05:35 -0600
>  Report of Gene Transfer from G-E Rapeseed to Bacteria and Fungi
<snip>
> The paper was submitted to Nature but they refused to accept it.
<snip>
> The field trial was performed by AgrEvo, the rapeseed was
> engineered to resist the herbicide glufosinate (Liberty, Basta).
<snip>
> He probed the microorganisms  for the pat-gene, the gene that conferes
> resistance to glufosinate. In some bacteria and also in a yeast he found
> the pat-gene. This indicates that the gene from the genetically engineered
> rapeseed was transferred in the bee=B4s gut to the microbes.
>
> (Summary written by Greenpeace Germany)

I'm not surprised that this comes from GreenPeace or that Nature refused to
publish it.

Nowhere is it above mentioned that the gene that was used to create Liberty Link
Canola was discovered originally and 'borrowed' from bacteria that someone
noticed controlling plant growth in their immediate vicinity using a similar
natural chemical that they generate somehow -- and always have.

As for the facts of the matter, and where the marker came from, what it means,
and how conclusive the test was, we cannot begin to tell from the article.

allen
--
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
Package installation & performance experiments, winter loss, fondant feeding,