From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:37:28 +0200
 > From:    Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>

 > But based on the recommendation on BEE-L that the bees
 > exit more rapidly when there is more room than provided by the "standard"
 > escape board, I've come to always put an empty super over the brood boxes,
 > then the escape board over which I stack the supers I want vacated.
 > Unequivocally, the bees vacate faster when the extra space is provided.

What is it that draws bees down from the supers? I would think it's the lack of
queen feromones. Thus the greater distance between brood nest where queen is
and the honey supers, the more eager the bees will be to go down when less
feromones are present. The timing is also important. If escapes are put in the
hives before noon, the bees will leave the supers faster than if they are put
there in the afternoon. And if left too long bees will learn to go through them
and start carry honey down.

And Aaron, why kill earvigs, they eat wax moths among other things....

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]  http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/