From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:56:52 -0400
> "might", "in some cases", "may"  ...I think we can all agree that neonics, "might" "in some cases", "may" harm bees and other pollinators...but we don't think such suspicions equate to any kind of conclusion..do we?

That is just the way science writers write. They don't say "we are going to hell in a hand-basket"; they say "we may be going to hell in a hand-basket". Maybe we are, maybe not. Depends. I don't have a problem with that kind of language.

> I have not read the study, and don't have an opinion as to what the conclusion actually says.

Yes, well, I read it. They are a little more direct. They use words you will like. "Can." "Cannot." "We will."

> With good management practices, particular crop types and growing conditions -- organic systems can thus nearly match conventional yields, whereas under others it at present cannot.

> To establish organic agriculture as an important tool in sustainable food production, the factors limiting organic yields need to be more fully understood, alongside assessments of the many social, environmental and economic benefits of organic farming systems.

> To achieve sustainable food security we will probably need many different techniques -- including organic, conventional, and possible 'hybrid' systems -- to produce more food at affordable prices, ensure livelihoods for farmers, and reduce the environmental costs of agriculture.

Comparing the yields of organic and conventional agriculture
Verena Seufert, Navin Ramankutty & Jonathan A. Foley
doi:10.1038/nature11069