From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 07:54:28 +0000
Martin,

Nice to have some input from Argentina.

I'm having trouble following your  arguments as the often appear to contradict
themselves.  Perhaps this is your writing style and my reading of it.   I think I
am right in  understanding that you believe that Argentina is not getting
"enough" for its  honey.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think you are trying to say that your costs are high and therefore you can't sell
 at the prices you are getting???

> In woodenware we don't find much differences. A good pine super here is
> U$S 5.50,  a full depth frame 35 cents, a pound of foundation U$S 2.80.

And you're saying beehives cost real money (investment) to make.

> Now that you are aware of some our costs, do you still think that  a
> "deflated price" is a great price for Argentine beekeepers?
> but a demonstration that labor costs although different in both
> the US and Argentina final production costs are not different but
> compensated with other costs that are extremely cheaper in the US like
> fuel and HFCS.

so your costs are *really* high!?

You also indicate that Argentina has doubled production in the last 10 years.
Now to double production means a huge investment in increased beehive
numbers.  In 1989 Argentina had 1,400,000 hives.(FAO figures)  Today
2,000,00 (Arno Meier - Beebiz article)

In all capitalist countries, the only place *investment* capital comes from is
from loans, gifts or after tax profit.  After tax profit is the final arbiter.  If you are
not producing a profit, (selling for more than your [high] costs), you don't have
tax paid profits - and you can't expand without loans or gifts.  Loans usually
need some form of proof of performance i.e. profits.  Gifts are usually in short
supply.

Now since you are not getting "enough", i.e you seem to be claiming you are
not making a profit, the money to double production with all those extra
beehives (and associated paraphanallia) in Argentina in 10 years (no mean feat
when you have OTC resistant AFB) must be coming from loans or gifts.

My question is:

Who has put up the money to build 600,000 beehives in Argentina in the last
10 years if you don't make a profit?

or put another way.....

Who's your Fairy Godmother and Banker??

Cheers,
Peter Bray

Airborne Honey Ltd., PO Box 28, Leeston, New Zealand
Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569  [log in to unmask]
We Accept MS Word 2.0 Files, Excel 4.0, Corel Draw 8.0, *.BMP,
 *.JPG, *.TIF, *.PCX