From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:45:18 -0500
I am nowhere near the expert that George is, but I can only share my
experience.  I lost all my hives (8 of them) to tracheal mites one winter...
just as he described beginning in December and going through February.  No fun
at all!  Since then I have done as he recommended and place a packet of menthol
(I buy it prepackaged from Mann Lake) and place it on my hives (here in northern
Illinois) in the fall.  So far (knock on wood) I am not aware of having lost any
more bees to t mites.

Contrary to George's advice, I do not take my last supers of until the first
part of September and place the menthol on then.  It has worked for me.  This
may be because my hives take direct sun for a good part of the day.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL