From:
Ken Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:48:31 -0500
There has been much talk and debate on the Bee lists, agricultural circles
and in the general public about Genetically modified foods. For those of you
interested, tonight on PBS Television there is scheduled a two hour long
program on Biotechnology and genetically altered food. In the Central
time-zone the program runs 8-10pm (CDT). I have included a synopsis of the
program I pulled from the PBS website below. I am not sure if this program
is being run to a national audience at this date and time, check your local
listings.

I have read that this program will be a good primer to those wanting to
catch-up with what is going on in Biotechnology and its association with
Agriculture. We will have to wait and see...

(synopsis from website)
Harvest of Fear: A Frontline/NOVA Special

FRONTLINE and NOVA team up for an investigative look at the controversial
advancements that biotech scientists have made in genetically altering food.
A gene from a firefly is placed in a potato plant, making it light up
whenever it needs watering. In Africa, rice plants are genetically
transformed to produce vitamin A, preventing millions of African children
from going blind. Crops are engineered so that they can grow in contaminated
soil. Plants are modified to produce plastic or pharmaceuticals. These are
just a few of the touted benefits of genetically modified agriculture -- the
use of genetic engineering to alter crops for the benefit of mankind.
Proponents believe that this unprecedented power has the potential to end
world hunger, yet critics say that scientists are tampering with nature,
risking potentially irreversible ecological disaster.

Harvest of Fear
The arguments over genetically enhanced foods, from the proponents who see
great nutritional and economic benefits to opponents who predict ecological
disaster.