From:
"Schriner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:00:11 -0500
My limited experience has shown that cappings from a standard deep super
with ten frames will yield a total of about 4-5 ounces of "refined" wax
from my solar melter.   I take rather deep slices off my frames using
the top and bottom bars as guides.   Forget pounds per hive--20 hives
might yield a total of 12-15 pounds if the bees have a really good year
and you have the supers to support their production.
        Can't help you with your paper sludge question.  bees, like
anything, are a product of the environment.  As Andy Nachbaur has aptly
pointed out--you can't separate the two.  If there are problems
associated with paper sludge chemicals they can manifest themselves in
the hives for years.  (contaminated comb)   More realistically, these
problems, if they exist, will go away with the next new generation or
two of bees, a new queen, and the depletion of any existing food stores
in the hive.
Best regards,
Jeff Schriner

cc: