From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:09:15 -0400
At 09:44 PM 8/8/02 -0300, you wrote:
>Colleen:
>
>As I understand it, some individuals increase sensitivity gradually, and you
>may be one who will sooner or later become truly allergic to bee venom.

On the other hand, every sting and situation can be different.  Personally
I avoid stings on my hands and face as they tend to swell up painfully,
while my reaction to stings elsewhere is little more than a mosquito bite.
Though this year my reaction when stung on my hands seems to be
diminished significantly, little swelling and no pain.

The reaction also seems to be worse when afflicted with other allergins.
Hay fever, ant bites, etc.  Two years ago I suffered a similar reaction to
what you describe from a single sting on my shoulder/neck, including
a little bit of nausea and feeling hot/bad.  Got over in a few hours but
was very concerned for awhile that it could develop into anaphylactic
shock.  Fortunately, nothing happened, and all stings since have just
been mild irritations.

 From what I've read, it's nearly impossible to predict what your reaction
to the next sting will be with complete certainty.  Even testing can't
predict that the next sting will react badly when you aren't normally
allergic.  And one bad reaction doesn't mean you are getting sensitive.
It's probably a good idea to always have an epi-pen handy, just in
case, even if you aren't normally allergic.

-Tim