From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 08:53:37 -0500
It is not that they aren't around, but the hive beetles seem to
get to the weak hives first and it looks like the slime repels everything.

Bill I will tell you what I learned this year.  Those beetles are a major
portion of the problem What I used to see as a passive pest feeding on weak
hives, I am now understanding that there are a predator.  The actually start
in the pollen band,  and the larva will move into brood and feed on it, of
course that's killing brood.  Hives that have slowed down for any reason or
are not as meticulous at beetle patrol, are being taken down.

Email me and I will send you pictures.

Charlie