From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:34:51 -0400
Tim Arheit said:

> Getting the comb out intact sounds just about impossible.  You may have to
> break it up with a long wire or flexible bar and wet/dry vac up what you
> can.  It's bound to cause future problems without nearly complete removal
> even if it's sealed up.  The more you can get out, the better.

Here's another approach - live steam.

Only to be used after the bees are out, but quick.

It can assure near-complete removal of wax and honey without cutting.
Drill a few holes to find the bottom of the nest cavity, and rent an
electric wallpaper steamer, which has a long hose and a fairly small
handheld nozzle at the end of the hose.

A "pressure washer" might work just as well, but pressure washers
that spray heated water are rare.

Duct tape a garden hose to the machine so that it can refill the water
tank.  Plug an extension cord into the machine, but leave it unplugged
from the outlet.  Turn the machine "on".

Hoist the steamer up in the tree with a rope and pulley, tie it off,
and slide the steam hose (nozzle removed, perhaps) into the hole.  Seal
the hole with duct tape.

Plug in the cord, which turns on the machine, and keep the water reservoir
filled with the garden hose.  Move the hose around a bit when the
flow of melted stuff slows or stops.

Extra points can be gained by driving a short length of copper pipe into
the drilled hole, attaching some tubing, and collecting the melted wax
and honey for later wax recovery.  Hoisting collection containers up
and down will be great fun.

And I agree with everyone else.  Given the conditions, removal of all
(or even most) bees will take a screen cone, a suspended hive, and
a patient approach.  I am consistently surprised that cones do not
result in a quicker evacuation, as one is cutting off the water supply
to the bees, and their stores of liquid nectar have to be finite.

                        jim