From:
Dennis Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:04:59 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-25 08:46:45 EST, [log in to unmask] (Albert W
Needham) writes:

              Hello Al

<< Why recommend a chemical to control grass around hives? I have two
 hives and I just kneel to the side and either pull up or just simply
 clip the grass down...no big deal with a two or three hives.>>

1.    To keep from having to ride the mower deck hard up against an object,
so you can have neat trim look, which we need. What I do is spray a four to
six inch strip around buildings and objects I do not want to hit. I have a
showcase farm to care for, six hundred acres on a main highway, half a mile
outside of town. Eight acres of lawn, three houses and eight barns set on
this farm. Got to have some way to speed up the process.

 <<Why should anyone want to ride a mower around hives anyway?
  We all know that kind of noise may aggravate them.>>

2.    When I mow around the hives I have no problem, they are to busy makeing
honey to bother with me.

 <<If someone has big commercial bee yards, I could understand
 the economics of Roundup & etc.,or some such.>>

3.    See number 1.

<< An aside..it strikes me that we humans are getting lazier & lazier
 with all our 'alleged' labor saving devices. I can see the use of
 a ride-em mower if someone has some physical problems or a giant
 spread.>>

4. In my case thirty years of stoop labor on a labor intensive turkey farm.
Bad on back and knees, not complaining I loved it. Lots of time standing on
concrete to dress out those birds. This is why we switched to cattle, less
labor and easier to do.You are right, people are getting lazier.

<< My 2 cents....:-) [ With inflation over the years, we really
 devalue our thoughts with 2 cents..it should probably be
 'my $10,00 worth these days]>>

5.  I could not agree more.

                                   With best regards :-)
                                       Dennis