From:
Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 04:35:58 -0500
I’m sorry but I cannot agree with Geoff Manning, “The
only appropriate role of government is to oversee the businesses that are offering certification,”.

It seems to me right and proper that Governments, like the EU, lay down rules that define what organic honey is within their frontiers. The alternative would lead to a multitude of businesses ‘selling’ certifications which would become meaningless, confusing, and open to corruption.

In France, when it comes to classifying businesses the Ministry of Agriculture is ambiguous concerning apiculture. I am registered as a “breeder of other animals” in spite of beekeeping being regulated.