From:
Paul Cauthorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:53:49 -0700
I found some info on the net about Fluvalinate.  I was surprised to read
that it is highly toxic to fish.  After reading this I thought about all
the hives that were flooded last year in our area.  One more cause of
declining fish populations.

Here are two addresses for info on Fluvalinate:

http://ace.orst.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/01/pips/fluvalin.p93

http://www.arsusda.gov/ppdb3/TAU-FLUVALINATE

This info was collected from one of the sites:

ECOLOGICAL EFFECTS

Effects on Birds

     Fluvalinate is slightly toxic to birds.  The acute oral LD50
for fluvalinate in bobwhite quail is > 2,510 mg/kg.  The dietary
LC50 for fluvalinate in mallard ducks and bobwhite quail is >
5,620 ppm (5).

Effects on Aquatic Organisms

     Fluvalinate is highly toxic to fish (1).  The 96-hour LC50
for fluvalinate in bluegill sunfish is 0.09 ug/l, and in rainbow
trout is 2.9 ug/l.  Its 48-hour LC50 in Daphnia magna, a small
freshwater crustacean, is 74 ug/l, and in mysid shrimp is 2.9
ug/l (5).

     Pyrethroid insecticides are extremely toxic to fish with 96-
hour LC50 values generally below 10 ug/l.  Corresponding LD50
values in mammals and birds are in the range of several hundred
to several thousand mg/kg.  Fish sensitivity to the pyrethroids
may be explained by their relatively slow metabolism and
elimination of these compounds.  The half-lives for elimination
of several pyrethroids by trout are all greater than 48 hours,
while elimination half-lives for birds and mammals range from 6
to 12 hours (8).

     Generally, the lethality of pyrethroids to fish increases
with increasing octanol/water partition coefficients

                Paul Cauthorn           [log in to unmask]
                                 ---
More heinous crimes are committed in the name of obedience than in the
                   name of rebellion.   -C.P. Snow