From:
JOHN ROMANIK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 00:48:16 -0500
> Kelly,
>
> I am new to this list so this is my first posting here.
>
> I do not now keep bees but I have a strong interest in them.  I am a
> professional at recording data, and I can tell you from my experience that
> the best way I have found is to write the information on a standard form,
> on Write In The Rain (TM) paper, and carry it back to the computer for
> input.  It seems to me that this scoring system is perfectly suited for a
> standardized form to score each hive.  It would be quick and easy to
> simply enter numbers into each form as you do your inspections.  Over time
> you could track trends such as weather, queen introductions, etc... The
> hives would have to be numbered.
>
> Recording your information on paper (weather proof), I feel, would have
> the following advantages:
>
> 1) Data would not be lost to computer glitch, batteries, etc.
> 2) Paper provides a permanent record.
> 3) No wear and tear on an expensive piece of equipment.
> 4) A convenient, easy to carry way of recording the data
> 5) Using a standardized form is faster than entering into a computer in
> the field.
> 6) If you drop paper it won't break
> 7) A big glob of honey on your key board and your done!
> 8) If you forget your clip board on top of your truck, it will still work
> after you run over it (unless you smash the clip!)
>
> OK, I'll stop. :-)
>
> I think a recorder works well for keeping track of management things as
> you are doing your inspections, such as "need to repair the bear fence"
> etc...
>
> Well, there's my $0.02.  Hope you found something of use.
>
> Wayne
>
> On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Kelley Rosenlund wrote:
>
> > I have been playing with the idea of using an electronic notebook with a
> > database program where I would only have to write the hive number and up
> > pops it's history which can then be updated. Has anyone tried this or know
> > of any software that would work in this application? Granted these notebooks
> > are in the $600-800 US range but it might pay for itself by streamling
> > recordkeeping.
> >
> > Kelley Rosenlund  [log in to unmask]

> Wayne Clifford                             | Phone (360) 427-9670  X-581
> Technical Administrator                    | FAX (360) 427-7798
> Mason County Department of Health Services | PO Box 1666 Shelton, WA 98584
>                                            | USA

Since this is a sharing of ideas site I wonder if anyone out there has tried my
method of record keeping - on the hive body itself using the large lead grade
school pencil or a carpender's pencil to write the current information about
that hive using as many abbreviations as one can make and remember for data.
Before internet came around the good reliable bee magazines (American Bee Journal
and Bee Culture) both of which are over one years in publication gave us bee-
keepers a site to learn and share ideas on management.  About 20 years ago in
ABJ  someone described the method of information recording that I have been
using, modified with my own abbreviations on my hives that are painted white.
Even camouflaged hives if the wood is smooth offer writing surfaces which
allows the small time beekeeper immediate information on that hive that can
last over years and when all space is occupied it is time for repainting.
   This does not replace the Bee log that one carriers in a plastic zip-lock
bag for moisture protection and with an extra ball point pen.
   Starting in the fall (the beginning of the bee management season) on jots
how much honey (8 full frames = 8 fl.fr) the size of the bee cluster etc.
Always start with the date e.g. 2-29-96 and if one has the time & wishes  the
weather conditions and the hour of inspection etc.  The back yard apiary can
admired on a Sunday without bee clothes and the hive condition can be recalled
and any necessary future work can be planned or just appreciated.  Transcribe
your bee log information that you wish to remember on your home computer as I
just did a couple weeks ago.  I collected swarm catching data for 23 years and
the article will be in ABJ in the May issue - without the detailed 23 year
(l.  7-17-95-  5 lbs Maple tree 0 - 20 in"  5422 Jersey Beal Rd.  E.C.). I only
caught swarms in '95 and the ABJ graph will show the data. DATA, on hive etc
accurate, timely, and cumulative can be educational.  It was & is to me.
                John Romanik BBKM  #l03
                3200 Pine Orchard Lane
                Ellicott City, Maryland 21042
                email   [log in to unmask]