From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:46:57 -0400
Barry Birkey wrote:
>> (Actually I wrote this) I almost did not bother to reply, since it already seems like Murray
>>nailed this one, but we know that will have no effect on the proponents.

> You're absolutely right. It won't, but do you know why? It's the attitude
> that is stated above by several on this list who's apparent goal with
> anything new or "outside" their norm of thinking or practice must be
> squelched and "nailed" in such a way that one is viewed as a lunatic for
> stating their observations and findings.

I will tiptoe around this so we do not get into any flames, but most of
those who question (that is not nailing or squelching) things that come
up on this list is because of all the different things that do come up
and are at best anecdotal. Not hard to go down the items that popped up
and disappeared over the many years I have been on this list, but I will
not since when I mentioned one of them a while back, I was threatened
(that is squelching) and it is not worth talking about anyway (FGMO!
there I said it). I still have the email. Very nasty.

There are few holistic, natural, anecdotal or other ideas/techniques
that pan out compared to the many that are logical progressions of
already proven ideas. But the exception always makes the headlines and
becomes the underpinning of most of the arguments against science and
research. Forgotten are all the failures that sometimes lead to tragedy.
You need look no further than all the cancer "cures" that kill. But even
if they do kill, the quacks stay in business because they traffic in hope.

So forgive me if my questioning things that are posted here is
considered negative. Not meant to be. I am hoping that the supporters
will post and uphold their practice. I do try some of them (quite a bit
when I was editor of our State newsletter), but they are tried with the
understanding that I might end up with a dead colony.

I have had to defend my posts on this list and I welcome it. That is how
I learn. None of us is the repository of all truth (I might come close)
so questioning should be welcome. My problem is not with discourse but
with blind adherence.

I bought some 4.9 to trial, but I am not quite into Feng Shui for my
hive frames.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine