From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 04:57:48 -0300
>She hypothesizes (it's only theory mind you) that bees can sense their
>environment through the activity of quarks in some way.

It is remarkable enough that bees are able to sense the earth's magnetic
field through the orientation of tiny crystals of ferromagnetite in their
body.  These crystals have a size expressed in nanometers (ten to the minus
nine meters I believe).  The sensory receptor for these is still I believe
unknown.  But quarks!  That is hard to believe or even conceive of. The
sensory receptor would have to be subatomic.