From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 15:21:09 -0700
> However, you ALWAYS measure 1:1 or 2:1 sugar syrups by
>  WEIGHT, not volume.
> 1 pound of sugar + 1 pound of water (1 pint of water) =1:1
> 2 pounds of sugar + 1 pound of water (1 pint of water = 2:1
>
> Quite often directions say "by volume or weight" but that refers to the
> liquid, not the solid.  It just happens that 1 point of water weighs 1
pound.

Any volume of water and a similar volume of granulated sugar weigh almost
the same amont (+/- 5%)

So, -- unless you hapen to be an atomic scientist -- weight or volume
measure is not all that important, since most of us won't be measuring that
closely anyhow.  Most of us just use a bucket or whatever is handy and
'eyeball' the quantities.

Besides, the limiting factor is how long you are willing to stir and how
much heat you have available, since hand mixing often will not get to 67%
sugar (2:1) anyhow.

We'd specify 80% for fall  instead of 67% if it were at all easy to make.
We use 67% because it is the strongest that is easy to make and will not
precipitate out too badly.  Even 67% syrup will precipitate out an inch or
two in the bottom of  a drum in cool weather.

> Unless you are in the sunny south, this is November and you should be
feeding 2:1...

Agreed

allen