Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:22:12 -0400
Lloyd Spear has written on Mon 10/19/09 11:25 AM:

1. ... Many commercial beekeepers around here use the
homosote boards. They go on the hive around now, under the outer cover.

Mr. Spear could you please clarify this point.  Did you mean, "under outer cover" and on the top of inner cover?
Does your inner cover have oval opening? Do you have a picture(s) of your setup? I would like to see it very much.

You say:
3. To create a top opening so that the warm moist air escapes the hive and
never gets a chance to condense and precipitate. This is what I do. I rip
cedar wood shingles into 1" shims, and put shim under the inner cover
so the butt end (3/8" thick) creates an opening.

Mr. Spear is your opening that big?  3/8"?  Do bees go out through that opening?  Does rain enter into your hives? Thanks for your time and effort to explain these details. Pcelar, WNY.