From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:19:48 -0500
I have a honey marketing problem that I will explain in the hopes that
someone can give me a solution.

     I am selling honey in a public market that is overrun with mice.  The
market management had hoped to solve the problem by giving a couple of
house trained cats free range in the market at night.  However the health
department axed this idea saying you couldn't have cats running over food
preparation areas, etc.  It seems the health department can turn a blind
eye towards mice but not cats.  So the market periodically calls in the
exterminators, but the problem quickly returns.

     My honey is sold on metal shelves in a vegetable section of the
market.  The mice seem to like this area and keep leaving droppings, etc.
on the honey container lids.  You would think this would turn off people
completely but sales are actually quite good.  Still I would like to ban
the mice from the honey shelves.  I was thinking of building plywood
inserts for the shelves with 2 or 3" of some smooth material(Formica?
plastic?), mounted vertically around the edges of the shelves.  I need a
barrier to mice that would be no danger to the public. Does anyone have
experience with what mice can/cannot cross?  Thanks for any suggestions. Ted