Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:45:18 EDT
PRESS RELEASE

"Apiculture in the 21st Century" is Published.

Edited by Roger A. Hoopingarner and  Lawrence J. Connor

When Professor Roger A. Hoopingarner decided to retire from Michigan State
University, he called a few of his friends and asked them to help him put on
a symposium. His premise was simple: What do you think will be the most
critical issues in 21st Century apiculture? Fortunately, Hoopingarner's
friends include members of the world's leading bee research teams.

"I tried to think of what were the most pressing subjects, as well as those
that would be the most topical, for the first years of the next century, "
Hoopingarner writes in the Preface of the book. "When I selected the topics,
then I picked four section leaders to then select the four or five leaders in
their fields to present research discussions for the symposium," Hoopingarner
explained.

Apiculture For the 21st Century reflects the written views of 15 such teams.
They identify subjects critical to the growth of human knowledge about bees
and bee culture as they impact upon the future success of apiculture. "The
limit of numbers caused me to drop such topics as pollination even though
this was a subject that was very probably closest to my main research
interests—though not a subject that has pressing research needs," noted
Hoopingarner.

The result is more than a snapshot in time. It is both a carefully
constructed review of current research efforts as well as a preview of the
future. Following two decades of rapidly changing international beekeeping,
these views will carry forward into the 21st century. This book is an
essential addition to any serious apicultural library.

Topics Covered:
Honey bee breeding methods
Honey bee defensive behavior
Breeding bees in Africanized areas
Foraging task organization
Hormonal control of division of labor
African versus European bees
African bee genetics and physiology
Genetic changes to feral bees
Apis cerana biogeography
Apis nigrocinta
Asian bee mite biology
Status of tracheal mites
Problems with varroa chemotherapy
Non-chemical varroa control
Selecting resistance to varroa mites

Wicwas Press announces the shipment of Apicuture for the 21st Century on June
21, 1999. The book is available in two editions; both contain 128 pages with
4 photographs and 42 illustrations and figures. The book includes an index,
table of contents, list of speakers, and a list of conference participants.

        • The LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION ($49.95 ISBN: 1-878075-10-1 Perfect
bound) is bound with a classic linen cover. [Copies of this edition will be
sent automatically to Symposium participants who pre-purchased a copy).

        • The GENERAL EDITION ($25.95 ISBN: 1-878075-11-X  Perfect bound, 12
pt. varnished cover.)

Check with your favorite bee-book reseller to see if they stock this Wicwas
Press title, or order directly from the publisher: Wicwas Press, LLC, P.O.
Box 817, Cheshire Connecticut 06410 USA. Phone 203 272 6574 or Fax 203 250
7575.  Email address is [log in to unmask] Add $2.95 per copy for shipping.
Payment must be in U.S. Dollars by U.S. Check, money order, Visa or
MasterCard (include number and expiry date).