From:
Chrissy Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 23:43:56 -0400
Allen Dick mentions that EHB does not live at ground level while implying
that AHB is why Dee sees cavity dwelling bees in the ground and rocks.

In the mid-seventies i was in Hawaii (Oahu and Hawaii) and every feral
colony i saw was near the ground, often in rocks.  There was no implied AHB
population in Hawaii, nor is there any reported at this time, so one might
as easly argue that EHBs do nest near the ground in warmer climates.

I have seen more than one swarm take up location in western Washington near
the ground level, in walls and high up in rock faces.  It is my opinion that
swarms respond to the attraction of the scouts regarding a sight.  They most
often will take prebuilt comb and in areas where there is a substancial
addition to outside populations from beekeepers colonies on a yearly basis,
such areas do not develop resistance to diseases and pests because there is
always a source of empty infected combs.

At least in the process of cell size regression there remains a difference
in how a strain handles mites.  I can not state that 4.9 levels this out,
but i have no reason to assume that Dee would make up this advantage in
using the smaller size.  I am passing a great many breeds and trains through
here and will keep all abreast as to my own results.

Not only is isloation a key factor in developing a native-style bee, the
genetic base from which that bee develops must be rather massive as that
breed develops lest all the problems of narrow gentic base genetics come
into play.  In nature such a broad base allows enough varriation for these
random genetics to eventually fix, if the base is too low there will be no
native-style bee found.

Chrissy Shaw