From:
dthompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 01:51:09 -0500
>his ramp test and ankle rub ideas, and often his abbreviations.

VC=vitamin C (see archives)

ramp test: (but I did not mention this, you have a good memory)
The sick hive that you are inspecting
Set up a ramp as though you are going to hive a swarm
Towards the end of inspection shake (from brood area) 2-3 frames onto ramp
Finish closing hive
After ~80% have re-entered hive observe laggards
Are they doing anything unusual?
Several doing the same unusual thing?
Describe

ankle rub: rear leg, opposite side of leg from pollen spines
This must be itchy since this inner leg surface is repeatedly rubbed against the other leg.
While you watch they will do it several times, and probably when you are not looking too.
Sometimes dozens of bees doing essentially the same thing
This can be seen on the front of the hive without even opening (not dozens of course)
(once you know what to look for)

I don't remember seeing this before 4 years ago
If your bees don't have ccd then you will NOT see this

In many absconds that I have seen winter is NOT a factor,
these absconds happened late Aug to Nov, left much honey, but little or no brood
Clearly the Q was failing in some of these cases, not because of age but due to ccd

>It seems that CCD is a syndrome, more than a disease.
And I disagree with this statement

IMO ccd is a really nasty bug, maybe it is even one of the top 20 worst pathogens
due to mortality rate and longetivity of the pathogen.
It appears to be a virus

>sometimes profitable affliction in the US.
Citation?
I  think loss must be at least 10x any possable profit, maybe 100x

> but has not presented his case clearly enough
I don't have a "case".  I don't care if you believe me or not,
I have got lemons, and am making lemonade.
More to do with the bees than you, sorry.
I have learned that when life dumps a problem in your lap,
that you ignore it at your peril (and thus this letter)

I would like to see more progress on the problem and
I really hate it when special interest groups try to hijack the agenda
It's reassuring to see that the greens can be as corrupt as general society

Randy, if this was AFB would you keep reusing the equipment?
And the ones that couldn't manage are wimpy?

And how are the almonds doing?

dave