Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:48:22 -0400
What is everyone's thought on this?

I suspect that the bees know what is the best egg to produce a queen from;
better than the beekeeper does.  When we graft, we take "all"  the larvae
from the "best" colony.   Some are better larvae than  others.  Here again, I
believe the bees know what is better than the  beekeeper.  I wonder if we
should use the swarm cells from less swarmy  colonies.  The colonies that are
going to swarm anyway.  Yes, I know  the traditional thought and experience
is using swarm cells will  result in higher swarming colonies, but swarming
is the natural way  colonies reproduce.  There must be a limit to the
swarming or the bees  would not survive.  When we take all the "best" larvae from
the same or a  few colonies, seems to me we are losing some diversity.

Dave M.