From:
andrea young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2010 08:24:00 -0400
Hi Rob.
Yes, you are correct.
Atrazine has been found in many local waterways. It is not only used in ag,
but also in lawn maintenance, so prevalent.
This might well be significant because, if I remember correctly (please
correct me if I am wrong), honeybees collect about the same % of water for
the hive as they do nectar. Atrazine could, therefore, be very directly
introduced into the hive environment.

Besides sexual developmental abnormalities, we are seeing scientifically
significant abnormalities in aquatic life both in metamorphic timing and in
locomotor activity, both critical in honeybee life cycles and foraging
patterns.

Even if this does not directly link to CCD, perhaps those of us in the
beekeeping community should be asking the question of how it might be
affecting our stock going forward.

I have included a link to a peer reviewed scientific study that came out
this January with in-depth info on atrazine and its effects. The
'discussion' and 'conclusion' summarize the issues and findings very well, I
believe.

http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1289%2Fehp.0901164#abstract1

Thanks! :)Andrea

--
"When the well runs dry, we learn the worth of water" - Benjamin Franklin