text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hello All,

Chuck Norton wrote:

"World's most easily and most widely read beekeeping periodical, "Bee
Culture".  I suggest that those of you who do not have a copy of these
articles should beg, borrow or go to the nearest library and check out"

I know why Chuck wrote this statement, but for the life of me I don't know why he should have to.  Anyone who intends to keep bees and does not subscribe to at least one of the periodicals is making a very foolish decision.  Books become dated, Internet can be questionable (except BeeL of course), but periodicals carry the latest information that you need in order to be successful.  I subscribed to Bee Culture, back then it was Gleanings, well before I poked my nose into my first hive.  There are many good periodicals both in the US and abroad from which one can choose.  The cost of these is minimal, compared to the knowledge they contain.  A friend of mine spends more on lost golf balls in a year than I do on all my subscriptions.  If you belong to a beekeeping organization (something else I think is a MUST) you usually get a discount on the subscription price that in some cases may cover the cost of the annual dues for the organization.

Beekeeping is one of the few hobbies that just about anyone can do, requires a relatively small investment, and actually produces a product that can be sold, given as gift, or personally enjoyed.  The cost of the periodical is a small price to pay for the pleasure of keeping bees.

I know individuals that refuse to attend meetings or subscribe to periodicals,  hide from the State Bee Inspector, and in general work pretty hard to stay uninformed.  They usually show up on a rare occasion at a club meeting or worse yet call me or come knocking at my door with a ton of questions, usually the first one being "Why did all my bees die?".  I am of the belief that we have a responsibility to the bees we keep.  Part of that includes staying informed on the changing world of beekeeping.  To quote George Imire " This is not you grand daddy's beehive".

Bee Safe,
Bee Well,
But most of all Bee Informed!

Ron

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, (eastern) PA, USA

+

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2