From:
Don Semple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:27:56 -0500
>>>From a sustainability point of view, one would need to look at Don's
operation from a "net income" perspective.  Don's labor in the cutouts and
transport thereof would be expenses charged at a reasonable rate for labor.
 His income would be from any excess in honey sales or bee sales above the
costs of operation (including labor).

>>>Now I don't give a whit whether Don or Dee make a profit, and thus earn the
right to be considered sustainable.  But if they wish to suggest that their
methods are indeed sustainable, then there must be a net return on
investment, the evidence for which would be that they actually pay taxes on
their profits in at least some years (I understand that Don will not be
showing a profit so long as he is expanding the operation).

>>>One need not run thousands of hives to show a profit or to earn the right
to be called "sustainable."  Many hobbyists and sideliners run in the
black.  That is sustainability.  Randy

Randy, I agree with your definitiuon of sustainability. I'm in beekeeping for the money, I'm just in the capitol investment mostly growing phase and will be for the next 8 years or so till I retire from my regular job.

And, just for the record I've made profits sidelining from day 1, charging to do removals and swarm captures. 1st year I grossed about 10 k and pocketed about 5 k after equipment, expenses and wife taxes. This year removal and bee sales grossed about 15 k and I Netted about 10 k. Next year (drought permitting) I should see continued revenue growth and well as hive numbers. 40 hives and growing and I've yet to buy a bee.

I've got no problems how anybody else chooses to keep bees and I have no axe to grind.

I just have a soft spot for feral bees and happen to think the work Dee, Michael, Dean and Ramona, Joe W, and many others are doing is very important and very worth while doing.

Don Semple
Overland Park, KS - USA