From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 17:28:52 +0100
> > Last year I was stung on both the head and neck with very little swelling
> >and itching.  Can someone develop an intolerance to bee venom after time?
> > Should I go to the doctor and be tested for bee venom allergies?  Someone I
> >know says that he became severely allergic to bee venom over time - first a
> >small reaction, then a subsequent sting or stings sent him to the hospital.
> > Help, please!
> >
> >Laura Downey
>
>    PLEASE go to a doctor and get tested. The literature is rife with
> reports of beekeepers who originally had minor reactions to mellifera
> stings, but who subsequently developed allergies.  In general, they
> are treatable with a series of desensitizing shots, plus you will need
> to subsequently keep an epi-pen with you at all times.

Hi,

However, don't be *too* alarmed. Many people swell up quite badly for
their first few stings, and very worrying it seems too (I know ;-).
Usually the rection starts to go away again after a while.

Note that some doctors get confused over what is and what is not an
alergic reaction. It's best to talk with a doctor who knows the subject.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]   CompuServe 100332,3310
               [log in to unmask]    CompuServe 100070,413