Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 07:32:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
If you are trying to weigh several hives, the following won't work, but, if you just want to keep precise records on a single hive, then an old style industrial platform scale works really well.  I bought one on Craig's list a few years ago for about 75 bucks for the HoneyBeeNet program and have Hive #1 permanently sitting on it.  It's nice, because at a glance I can see if it's weight is up or down from the last setting.  Let's you know precisely when a flow begins (and it never ceases to amaze me how a hive can gain 20+ lbs. in a day during a good bloom, like Japanese Knotweed).  Of course, you need to take the reading at about the same time every day, usually early morning or around dusk, but that's true for any measurements, where you are tracking changes over time.  That scale has been out in the elements year-round for over 8 years and still works fine.

BTW, after weeks of cold and snowy weather, we hit 63 yesterday.  Was nice to see the bees flying about.  The downside is my drive is experiencing early mud season as a couple of feet of snow rapidly disappears.

Bill
Claremont, NH US
43'N 72'W

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2