Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:52:56 -0600
Hi Allen:

My nephew had a similar reaction from a sting on his eyelid last year.
We were collecting honey supers and he was stung on the eyelid as we
got out of the truck. (The bee remembered him from the week before) I
removed the stinger from his eyelid and we got our load of boxes and
went home. The eye was a little swollen but there was nothing unusual
when he went home about two hours later.

Later that night he swelled up all around the eye and was taken to the
emergency ward. The doctor did not think it was an allergic reaction,
just a normal swelling in an area which exaggerated  the effect. He
couldn't open the eye for two days afterward and had to take time off
from his regular job.

I find myself, that stings on my nose and ears are more painful and
swell more than ones on the arms or legs. (None near the eyes)
This is consistent with other injuries; a light blow near the eye will
give you an impressive black eye but a similar blow on your arm will
have no effect whatsoever.

Best regards,

Donald Aitken
Edmonton Alberta Canada