Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:20:13 -0500
>How much genetic diversity is there in honey bees compared to more familiar
>organisms -- say, mice, humans, trees, etc.
>allen

The amount of genetic diversity is dependent on size and variation of the
species population within a .  If the population is small but highly
diverse, there will be little possibility of inbreeding.  Conversely, if the
population is small but highly interrelated, there will be considerable
inbreeding.   And of course, the larger a species population is within an
ecosystem, the  greater the genetic diversity.  An ecosystem of a single
hive is not very large, ergo a lot of inbreeding.  Minimal number of
colonies of bees within a ten mile radius, possibly a lot of inbreeding.
How far does a queen go to the mating yard?  How many colonies within drone
flying distance of that yard?  Am I making any sense here?
Hope this helps.

Mike Stoops
A wanna-bee beekeeper
Lower Alabama, U.S.A.