Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 2015 19:25:20 -0700
Hi Randy et al:

I have always wondered who gets to decide what is right and wrong in English
usage. George Bernard Shaw, for example, detested non phonetic spelling. He
challenged his friends to identify the word "ghoti"  and gave the answer
using standard English spelling and pronunciation.

Spelling was originally phonetic and one could write in dialect with no
trouble at all. Punctuation, I believe, was also of phonetic origin-comma
was a short silence, period a longer silence and so on.
When did all these inane grammar rules come about,  who made them up and
why?

Best regards,

Donald Aitken