Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:43:20 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
One thing that I'm still not clear on is the stimulus for winter broodrearing, which appears to occur even in light-free, constant-temperature sheds (can any of you Canadians confirm this?

Are you sure?  In conversations with several who store bees,  they have all said the same thing,  and that is no stimulation in brood rearing until they come out.  That being one of the strong downsides in my opinion. In fairness the ones I talked to pull out in Feb to head to almonds

Interesting enough,  I am very curious to see what happens in the next month or so.  My bees have ceased brood here in IL,  but I am headed to TX tonight.  Temps there are in the 80 range where we are going.

I am concerned they will start brood as soon as they hit the ground  which may be a bit early.  I would like to hold them off until the months end as natural pollen may not be in full swing until feb.

It will be interesting to see if the move stimulates them.  I am also hopeing to split into two groups,  one feed dry pollen sub at will,  outside the hive (40% proteins)  and the others feed wet sub in the hive at 18% protein.  Curious to see the effects,  hope I can pull it of,  to do so I have to find another holding yard a bit further away.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2