From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:43:02 EST
In a message dated 98-02-18 20:13:42 EST, [log in to unmask] (beeman) writes:

<< Besides using honeybees for pollination, who have too short a tounge for

 some flowers like red clover I have read that bumblebees for this
 purpose.

 sorry but last year i planted 3 acres of red clover on the outskirts of
 town and had a record amout of clear honey, i averaged 4 full suppers of
 crystal clear honey, i have had the same hives there for about 4 years,
 i have always been told that bees wouldn't work red clover but i am
 sorry i disagree!! >>

   There are many variations of red clover, with differing depths of flowers.

   Furthermore the nectar droplet, under ideal conditions may become large
enough so that honeybees can reach it, when they could not reach the smaller
droplet produced under less than ideal conditions.

    Competition is also a factor. If bumblebees are plentiful, they will tend
to utilize the nectar resources and honeybees may not be able to access any
large dropelets. Sadly, our bumblebee populations are also depleted in many
areas as well.

    So when you speak of red clover being only for bumblebees, it is a
generalization that is not always true. I have seen honeybees work red
clovers, and I've seen them entirely absent on blooming red clover.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm