From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:53:13 -0400
Hello,

Would someone please direct me towards information or research concerning
allogrooming, where I can obtain a detailed description of allogrooming
and other such behaviors that may be associated with allogrooming?  Or bee
labs having done research in this area that I may seek information?
Thanks in advance!

Been assessing and breeding from some of my colonies for a few years that
were captured from the feral population.  In breeding from my best
performers, I like to look for traits that are ‘most prevalent’ in the out
performers that may be contributing; e.g. high brood viability, hygienic
abilities, and add the traits as part of my colony evaluation process.
Due to the prevalence of allogrooming observed in the out performers, I am
going to add this trait to my selection criteria.

Interesting that some colonies exhibit intense allogrooming and some not
so intense, some colonies exhibit allogrooming by solicitation and still
others by non solicitation (seemingly by force), and still others initiate
grooming by both means.   I have noticed that the trait is easily passed
on, so this indicates that there may be potential to intensify the
prevalence of the trait even further.  I have also observed that
allogrooming in a colony does not seem to be associated with
auttogrooming, so there seems much to consider in selecting for this
trait.

Best Wishes,
Joe