Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:20:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
>Pete, I do so appreciate how you take the time to post papers that are likely to engender discussion!

Well, I like a lively discussion. But I also like going over a lot of the stuff we may have "forgotten". Like the early conclusion that mite resistance in A. cerana is chiefly behavioral. And how A. mellifera seems curiously to lack the appropriate behavior set to adequately rid themselves of mites early on, before they become a problem. 

Of course, bees cannot "know" that a tiny little mite can ultimately destroy the entire colony any more than humans could have known that mosquitoes were responsible for malaria until germs were discovered. However, the trait that prevents varroa collapse in A. cerana evolved over time as colonies lacking this trait perished. 

So, it is logical to suppose such a trait could be developed in A. mellifera and so followed thirty years of breeding for varroa resistance with mixed success. But what interests me is that the preponderance of varroa in drone cells seems to have less to do with their "preference" for drones than it does with their being allowed to breed there unmolested. 

I have wondered if the very fact that A. mellifera colonies build such large populations that it is actually harder for them to police the colony. Certainly as the colony size passes three story strength, a greater proportion is foraging and a smaller proportion is doing housekeeping. 

I have also wondered if the colony size were kept at two stories, would varroa be easier for the bees to control? This size  factor could account for why small time and let alone beekeepers often have less trouble with varroa, the colonies never get really large like the ones better beekeepers tend to have as a result of management for maximum population size.

The other thing that I would like to see studied is the effect of very small apiaries (2 or 3 hives) well isolated from other bees. I certainly can't do such a thing in this county, overstocked as it is. Not that it would have practical beekeeping value, but just the same, curious

Pete

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2