From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2014 07:04:14 -0800
>How does a Beekeeper go about locating almond growers or pollination
contracts prior to moving bees to California?

Hi Ed,
Since I don't see any other answers, I'll give it a shot.  May be hard for
you this year, unless you can find a fill-in contract.  Bees at this moment
are in long supply in most areas of California.  Beekeepers ramped up their
numbers of hives this year (they must not have gotten the memo about about
bees going extinct in the U.S.).  I've heard of only a few people looking
for bees this week, and time is of the essence, as the bloom is already
starting.

The easiest way is to contact a pollination broker for the area in Calif in
which you wish to place bees.  We beekeepers in Calif also knock on the
doors of growers who don't appear to have bees in their orchards, but this
is likely not a viable option for you.  You can advertise in Valley
newspapers or on Craig's List.  We commercial beekeepers also use the
beekeeper cell phone grapevine to see who is short or long on bees.

I realize that none of the above are likely much help to you at this late
moment, but give Craig's List a try.  Many beekeepers have had trouble
placing their bees this season.  For your first time, the most common
mistake is to overestimate the strength of your colonies, which can lead to
a rude shock when you get to California, and the broker tells you that your
hives are sh....not worth renting.

By all means, NEVER come to Calif without a signed contract in hand.

Good luck!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA