From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 09:02:21 -0500
Re the subject of today's complaints of reduced queen longevity:

I would add one more to that list Randy,

Increased expectations from queens by beekeepers and inspectors.

It seems that "Failing queen" syndrome is many times perpetuated by us.  Anything that arises, the comment is "re-queen"  any time the brood pattern has a hole in it...  "re-queen"  and slight drop in honey   "re-queen"
  We have a new expectation.. increase brood for everything...  spring, fall,   whatever...

In my yard  I don’t do that.  I look at why the brood is declining.  Besides the queen.   I would estimate My queen replacement rate is around 10%....  Most of the time I see what look like queen issues,  it’s the environmental thing,   no pollen,  no nectar  etc...

That said I did have one yard chronically exposed to herbicides,  Queens only lived about 10 days in that yard!

Charles