Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:23:03 -0400
> The use of essential oils in hives is roughly equivalent to using
> homeopathic remedies.

Actually, not. Homeopathic is defined as:

> A system for treating disease based on the administration of minute doses
> of a drug that in massive amounts produces symptoms in healthy individuals
> similar to those of the disease itself.

Minute is the operative word. The concentration used by Diane was .06%.
Listerene contains thymol and is only one of two bacteria killing
mouthwashes recommended by my Dentist as they work. The Thymol content of
Listerene is .064%.  So .06% is a percentage that is more than adequate to
kill bacteria.

Dave Cushman's site gives an LD-50 for Thymol of 100 ppm and the .06%
equates to 60ppm, hardly homeopathic for a bee.

If they are snake oil (which is what I think of homeopathic), then the two
studies by competent scientist seem to counter that assertion. I do agree
that the subject is not set in concrete (especially what EOs are used), but
definitely not homeopathic.

The larger discussion needed on EOs was exactly what D. Sammatero addressed,
that EOs are not created equal. Some work and some do not. She did not test
everything, but it appears that Oregano and Thymol EOs do end up in larva
and at effective concentrations to at least kill bacteria. Beyond that we
need the Russian study that indicates Thymol does produce healthy bees over
a three year period. Not anecdotal.

We also know that EOs do not cure bees that are sick with pathogens, in
fact, might make them worse. That is from science and, if you read between
the lines, also anecdotal evidence ("they were too far gone for it to work",
which implies it normally does, but studies show it does not). EOs are only
a preventative, not a cure. Listerine does not cure periodontal disease. It
is a preventative.

One thing that we continually discuss is the immune system of our bees and
the wretched state it is in because of all the challenges. Maybe certain EOs
at least can be a help by reducing or eliminating some challenges.

My position is that it is worth trying because of those two studies, but
Caveat Emptor.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine