From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 17:55:06 -0000
I wrote:

> They marked large numbers of bees in their home apiary and then went
> looking for them in the surrounding area.

I should perhaps have made it clear that the search was for bees that had
drifted into other hives.

It showed that bees readily joined other hives well over a mile from their
home apiary.

It is said that up to 30% of bees in a hive originate elsewhere.  This is
why we take young bees from the centre of the broodnest when conducting wing
morphometry tests as that ensures that we are testing the progeny of the
queen in which we are interested.

Best wishes

Peter
52.194546, -1.673618