From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:52:12 -0400
Keith Malone wrote:
> We can all split hairs such as you are doing but I think we are discussing Chemicals that are deadly and kill and are not
> necessarily necessary in a hive. This type of tactic is an attempt to side track an issue of some concern.

Actually, it is an attempt to be more specific. "Chemicals that are
deadly and kill " is very non-specific and confusing to me since I know
of none that are added to a hive other than gasoline to kill a colony.

Are we then speaking of killing mites? A whole group of miticides do
that and many are used by "organic" beekeepers and all are chemicals,
some of which are more toxic than the commercial, approved miticides.

Plus, I mentioned the white death on purpose, since there are some on
this list who feel sugar syrup should never be fed to bees and would
group it right along with other "deadly" chemicals.

Why is it so difficult to identify just which "chemicals" we are talking
about. So far, I can see only one commercial miticide, which is
cumaphos, that has a major effect on the queen and supercedure . My post
is specific in identifying this. The question is queen problems and the
answer is not "chemicals" but specific miticides or some other reason.

Got to leave now and soak in some hot dihydrogen oxide, another chemical
that is deadly and kills. I live on the edge.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine