From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 01:24:45 EDT
In a message dated 8/7/01 10:10:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Such a hostile and adversarial approach will do nothing to prevent the
negative
 impact of spraying, and will only harm the perception of beekeepers
 as "reasonable and responsible steward of the environment".  There is no
 reason to demonize those involved.>>

   Thanks, Jim.  I am sorry I phrased this in such cynical terms. I have seen
some demons, (so there is no reason to demonize them), but I also have seen
some decent folks. (Sigh!) I may need to step back from this for a bit.

<< These people need HELP, not confrontation.  >>

    Actually I have tried to help in most situations.  In the label
violations reported at  http://members.aol.com/gardenbees/    I kept track of
the hours the bees were flying, and reported to the mosquito control people
each day. They completely ignored the data.

    There are actually two different matters here. One is the ecological
damage, and this will occur whether or not the label is obeyed. The other is
the damage to beekeepers by label violations.

    The gentleman who was victimized in the Horry County violation is a hard
working and productive citizen, who was screwed by the county. He put in a
claim for about a quarter of his actual losses, and they have totally ignored
him. The state pesticide enforcement people admitted it was a violation, but
refrained from citing the perps.

    I guess I have to say I am angry about this. I know how hard he struggles
to recover; I've been thru it myself.  Part of the problem is that he gets no
support. Other South Carolina beekeepers don't seem to be concerned, unless
they get hit themselves. And the state bee man is of no help.

   If a new round of aerial applications is forthcoming, the beekeeping world
has got to close ranks and get behind the victims, or this will continue ad
infinitum. In fact it will get worse. I suppose I am not the one to lead the
way, here. I'm tired and burnt out. I'm in no condition to charm the
applicators.

    But I wish I could somehow light a fire under a hundred other beekeepers,
who would get actively and intelligently involved.  There are probably only
about a half dozen of our number in the US, who are actively trying to deal
with this, and they get little support from the community. Many beekeepers
won't speak up, even if they have taken hits, and some do not even recognize
the symptoms of poisoning.

   Here are some self checks for each beekeeper to help evaluate whether we
are dealing with this.

    Can you identify the half dozen adulticides that are commonly used for
mosquitoes?

    Do you know what each label says about bees? Have you read them?

    Did you know that pesticide laws protect bees - not at the hive, but at
the flower - the place where it really counts?  Are you acquainted with FIFRA?

    Have you participated in condoning label violations, by protecting ONLY
your own bees?  Do you know that the labels do not usually distinguish
honeybees from other bees?

    In your state, do you know who is in charge of vector control? Of
pesticide enforcement?

    Have you written letters to editors on behalf of the bees (who have no
other defender but you)?  Have you sought support from those who need
pollination? From those who are concerned about the environment?

Dave Green    SC   USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com