Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:34:13 -0400
> But not in the honey. No reason to panic.
>>

> I don't think beekeepers will panic but certainly there seems to be cause
> for concern when selenium is found at possibly toxic levels in the nectar
> and pollen of plants in the valley.

If you look at plants and what they take up - it is a toxicologists
playground. Bees have been in these areas for many years with no problems.

Lots of health food practitioners love some areas because of compounds and
elements found there and tout the plants as healers. Most, including
selenium, are essential for life which is why the natural food people love
them.

It is interesting that selenium is pushed by some as beneficial for
prostrate problems, so I look on this as a marketing dream. Another
healthful honey.

You can get selenium poisoning (which you do not die from but have bad teeth
and skin) but you would really have to go a long way to get those kinds of
concentrations. Even then, those levels are tied with lower incidences of
cancer.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine