Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:27:53 GMT
Jim,

>>If you joined the Long Island Beekeepers Club, you'd have heard
that...

You keep insisting on this... :o)  You really need to update your information.  I am a member of the Long Island Beekeepers Club (paid my 2008 dues so that makes me a member).  Have been for quite a few years.  Certainly before you moved to NYC.  I've not met you in person but that's ok - I'd like to think you are a nice, regular guy when one gets to know you in person. ;-)))

>>If you'd indicate where you collected your 3 colonies, I'd
be happy to tell you which member beekeepers are in range
of that area.

I got a list from the club.  Feel free to send me an updated one as mine is a couple of years old.

>>My guess is that a new beekeeper made the typical rookie error of
not keeping ahead of his/her colonies, to create your
consistent swarms...

It's possible - Italian packages used to be quite uniform.  I found the uniformity interesting merely because I don't see it often.  The overwhelming majority of my removals are not uniform in color.  The darker ferals have done better for me and I've been working their offspring into my hives.

Is the club getting packages with marked or unmarked queens these days?

>>That's one "positive" that can be in part attributable
to varroa  - the well-publicized problems of bees has
brought people out of the woodwork to take novice courses
and take up the hobby.

Aha but I think CCD has commanded more media attention than varroa because of the continuing mystery "why are the bees disappearing?."  Since CCD started getting significant coverage, I've had school kids call me with their parents to tell me they are working on a bee project and asking what they can do to save the bees...  I'd typically say that the bees are struggling with parasites so more selective breeding and research is needed.  Not much school kids can do here.  But - since GMOs, insecticides, herbicides etc. have been mentioned as contributors to weakened bee immune systems - the kids and their parents can choose more organic food for their home and school menus.  Or just grow some organic fruits and vegetables in their home gardens to help create a better environment for the bees.

Waldemar