Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:53:22 -0600
> 1. the formic strips kill varroa on bees *and in cells* and fast as
> opposed to the the amatraz strips which takes 42 days.

Up here, where we can use formic in any manner we like and many beekeepers
use the Driloc-50 pads in pairs multiple times in spring and/or fall, almost
no one relies on them for varroa control.  All the commercial beekeepers I
know use Apivar once a year and the results are amazing.  Even then we see
more mites than we care to see.

We have had the Mite-Away II available for a long time and, although many
have used them, I know of nobody who would use them in preference to Apivar.
Everyone hoped they would work, but many who have used them have been
disappointed.

Although formic pads can achieve varroa control, doing that requires a
*minimum* of four flash applications and the results are not entirely
reliable.  Formic use is very temperature-dependant and unexpected
temperature fluctuations can mean either inefficacy or brood damage -- or
both.  Beekeepers use them as an adjunct to the strips, hoping to forestall
resistance and to knock back any tracheal mites that might be lurking.

Formic pads can reportedly manage levels under around six percent
successfully when used properly and the weather cooperates, but for whatever
reason they reportedly seem to be unable to manage higher levels.

I'm not knocking formic.  It definitely has its place, and we are in the
process of defending our current permissions, but I am quite puzzled by the
amount of faith and hope that is placed on the new untried product,
especially when there is ample information on proven formic applications of
many sorts on several continents and many countries and the capabilities and
limitations are well known.  Beekeepers with choices use formic, but usually
not as a sole varroa control measure.

> 3. the formic strips can be used when supers are on which is a big plus.

Will that be on the label?  I personally doubt that there is any reason that
it should not be, but I would be surprised if it is.

At present, there are several formic methods on the market which have good
reports, at least by their developers: Mite-Gone and Apinovar.  Each uses
generic, very inexpensive formic acid.

Canadian beekeepers intend to register generic formic for beekeeper custom
applications.  Why can't US beekeepers get together to do the same?  Better
still, why not get together on it?