From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 07:20:12 -0400
Hi all

I have had a laying queen confined (by a queen excluder) to a small cage with comb inside of it, for several weeks now. Most recently I moved the frame with bees into a glass observation hive.

I can clearly see the bees polishing cells for her to lay in but they have never moved any eggs from inside the cage to the comb immediately outside of it. This would involve a bee carrying an egg a very short distance. So far there is simply no indication that they do this. Maybe they do it once in a great while, but no sign of it happening.

As I mentioned earlier: in experiments where multiple queens were banked in excluder cages with comb, there were no reports of eggs outside the cages.

PLB