From:
Greg Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 01:36:36 -0500

I have a problem with blaming the Aussie/NZ bees for CCD. One of my concerns
is that
D. Hackenburg gets treated as CCD case No 1. I have listened to several
Florida based commercial/migratory beekeepers complain about losing large
numbers of hives with the same or similar symptoms dating back to the summer
of 2003. Their complaints, and questions were ignored, and these beekeepers
were told that they didn't know how to keep bees, and to shut-up and go
away. Mr. Hackenburg, was able to use industry clout, and stubbornness to
get an inspector to listen to his problems, and get a university research
team involved, that's why there is a different outcome for him.

IMO I believe that ground zero is/has been Florida, similar to Tracheal, and
Varroa mites. If that is the case, then the Aussie/NZ bees are not the
culprit, as they first made their appearance in California, then on to
Missouri (article written by Bob Harrison). What imported bees that did
appear around this time (02-03) was AHB. Florida received to distinct
importations one from Mexico/Central America that came into Port of Tampa,
and the Port of Mobile. And another from Africa into the Port of
Miami/Everglades.
If, which I believe, ground zero has been Florida, then the Aussie/NZ could
not be the culprit.

One story that I heard from one of the beekeepers, was that he would lose 5
out 6 hives on a pallet, and the sole survivor would show AHB type
aggressiveness (this was just prior to Florida admitting that it had AHB),
he could split the remaining hive to restock the pallet, requeen the entire
pallet, the hives would do well for a while, then show the same symptoms.

Another factor that can not be ignored is that Canada has been importing
these same bees for about 20 years. If the bees carried this pathogen that
is causing CCD, it would have shown up long before now. Most of know that
the Aussie stock , US stock co-mingled in some Canadian operations
throughout the period.

Another culprit may not even be a Honeybee. I have not fully found out what
effect shb has on honeybees. I know David Westervelt did some studies that
were directed more on how to deal them, i.e... Clean honey house, healthy
bees, limit empty space etc.. But my concerns are more towards does the shb
act as a vector for viruses, is there strange bacteria in the slime, etc..
If anyone has information on this please let me know.

With these questions I have, I believe blaming Aussie/NZ bees is just like
when cell phones were blamed for causing CCD, it isn't based in hard science
yet, and to speculate and point fingers is way premature.