From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 06:53:41 -0400
Murray McGregor wrote:

> In my sons case, and seemingly so with this girl, there also seems to be
> a hightened sensitivity to a mix (raw condition honey) than to clean
> filtered honey (not talking ultra filtered here, just gravity filtered
> through a moderate mesh size to remove visible detritus and provide a
> clean product.).
>
> Make of it what you will. Science it is not.

Murray, thanks for the information. I wonder if this is a result of
sensitization by exposure to an allergen, which does happen in
beekeeping, mostly to those who are not handling bees but are exposed to
small levels of allergens in the beekeeper's clothes over a long period
of time. They can start out not allergic and proceed to very allergic.

In any case, I appreciate your observations. It is hard to find anything
on topical honey allergy, so it seems to be rare with the general
public. Maybe not so with beekeeper's families and co-workers.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine