Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2013 17:41:37 -0400

> We had no problems with the pesticides in use before neonicotinoids -
> well, not since the 1980s.

A cursory search of the archives with "pesticide kill" give the lie to that
comment.

Or search "[log in to unmask]" for Dave Green and his anger over pesticide
kills.

Some quotes from back then taken from different posts:

    We are now underway in our spray season, and I am going to be heavily
> involved with pesticide misuse that kills bees, for the rest of the season.
>  I have already sustained a $600 loss from one hit, and another beekeeper
> $1500, by our own estimates.  This, we know, is the first of many this
> season.
>
> The most serious damage was sustained by Bruce Fiegel, of Appleton, NY who
> maintains about 1200 hives in the area for crop pollination and honey
> production. Bruce had 17 bee yards where damage occurred, affecting over 400
> hives. Some 60-70 hives were killed, others lost their honey production, but
> he has hopes of their survival. Fiegel estimates 30% loss of his honey crop.
>
>    Last year, there were at least hundreds, possibly thousands, of
> applications on cotton, made in violation of bee protection directions. I
> sustained a lot of loss.
>
> {I have also seen too many of
> my hives damaged and *kill*ed by *pesticide*s and do not want to minimize
> the
> damage they have caused me and others and the real threat they continue
> {Nothing has been more devastating to me personally then the loss I
> have had from the regulated, [proper and legal], use of *pesticide*s in
> California. Many times miles from my apiaries. *Pesticide* damage and loss
> is far greater by a factor of one thousand or more then all other bee
> disease, pests, and predators; one thousand dollars are lost due to
> *pesticide*s used on crops miles away from the bees hive

And I only looked at the earliest messages. There are many similar posts.
So there have been many pesticide kills before the neonics. Pencap M is a
classic.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine