Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 20:29:48 PDT
A few years ago I built a solar wax melter.  It was cobbled together from stuff laying around or given to me.  It seemed like an interesting  thing to experiment with!

I have learned that you should not use styrofoam insulation, as it tends to melt.  The semi-ridgid fiberglass stuff that heating and airconditioning people use to make ductwork with workes well,  and sometimes they will give you scraps.

I also found that the piece of aluminium I used for the metal lining was a bit of good fortune.  It was something called 'stucco' and has a 'pebbled' surface.  At just the right angle (sorry, have not measured that angle!) the trash stays and the wax flowes out.  Well, mostly.

Hope this gives you folks some ideas!  Happy melting!

Dennis Morefield
Sideline Beekeeper, Oregon, USA